MSDS EDUCATION JOURNEY
To fully adapt in this era of big data and digitization, the Master of Science in Data Science (MSDS) program trains its students to be innovative data-driven leaders who can meet the demands and needs of various global institutions.
Through the MSDS’ holistic approach, students are exposed to different data science tools and methods and are taught various algorithms and models to make predictive analysis and derive data-driven decisions. They also learn from practitioners in the field especially in building data strategies to help jumpstart organizations in their data-driven journeys and in managing data science teams. MSDS students also engage with different organizations to work on real-world data science use-cases as junior data science consultants.
By the end of the program, MSDS students will become:
- Critical data-driven thinkers and decision-makers.
- Data Science practitioners
- Effective communicators
- Ethical and effective team players
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
Notable positions of MSDS Graduates:
- Lead Data Scientist/ Data Scientist
- Risk Data Scientist
- VP for Digital Solutions and Platforms
- Digital Transformation Principal
- Senior AVP for Strategic Initiatives Group
- Corporate Strategy Manager
- Product Analytics Manager
- Emerging Technology Engineer (AI and ML)
- Research Team Lead
- Data Science Consultant
The MSDS program curriculum has a total of 52 units, exhibiting a proper fusion of technical (data science and computing) courses and general business and management courses.
(Apr – June 2021)
- Mathematics for Data Science
- Programming for Data Science
- Data Viz and Storytelling
- Introduction to Data Science
- Management Communications
- Language of Business
(Jul – Sept 2021)
- Data Mining and Wrangling
- Applied Computational Statistics
- Machine Learning I
- Human Behavior in Organizations
- Marketing in the Digital Economy
- Business Economics
(Oct -Dec 2021)
- Machine Learning II
- Project Management
- Financial Management
- Innovation Management with Design Thinking
(Jan – Mar 2022)
- Machine Learning III
- Big Data and Cloud Computing
- Capstone (in progress)
- Negotiating Change
- Operations Management
(Apr – June 2022)
- Network Science
- AI Ethics
- Strategic Management
- Managing for Sustainable Development Impact
- Complexity Science
- Advanced Data Mining
- Introduction to Geospatial Analysis
- Natural Language Processing
- Time Series Analysis
- Data Engineering
- Introduction to Image Processing
- Data Applications (Web)
*Curriculum details may be subject to change.
CAPSTONE PROJECTS with REAL-WORLD USE CASES
The MSDS capstone project is one of the key features of the program that makes it quite unique compared to other data science programs. It is a culminating activity where our students take on projects (real-world problems) from various companies, organizations, and government agencies for which there are no existing solutions.
Here, students don’t just jump straight into model building; instead, they go through the entire data science project workflow – from writing project proposals, to data extraction, data mining, and building AI models, to model/platform deployment.
In this exercise, MSDS students are trained as data science consultants; as part of their training, they work closely with world-class professors, full-time data scientists at ACCeSs@AIM, and domain experts.
THE CAPSTONE PROJECT PROCESS
- industry, government, and/or international organizations submit use cases to MSDS program.
- A call for proposals from students is opened.
- Interested student team submits proposals.
- Stakeholders and data scientists review the proposals.
- A project is awarded to teams; this will be the research topic of students.
The Outcome: Real Business Value Generated
In 2020, the MSDS program received over 25 real-world use cases from various organizations and enterprises, 15 of which made it to the program portfolio. Partners and stakeholders estimated a total potential revenue of about US $40 million from these projects.
In 2019, this estimate was at US $10 million for 10 capstone projects. Indeed, through the program’s partnerships, MSDS students become data science consultants even while studying; at the same time, the program gets to help organizations innovate through data science and machine learning.